[squid-users] [ext] Re: I want to know the concerns of load testing

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Fri Oct 9 13:16:05 UTC 2020

* m k <tamurin0525 at gmail.com>:

> The CPU is not 100%, but the number of simultaneous connections does not
> exceed 450. In netstat, FIN_WAIT was over 10000. Is there a way to reduce
> FiN_WAIT?

We use these sysctl settings:

--- snip ---
# Tuning

net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=10
# down from 60

net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse=1

net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range=10000 65001
# http://www.fromdual.com/huge-amount-of-time-wait-connections

net.ipv4.tcp_mtu_probing=1
net.ipv4.tcp_base_mss=1024
# https://blog.cloudflare.com/path-mtu-discovery-in-practice/
--- snip ---

> Also, can socks proxy be used with squid?

No.

> If not, what are you using as an alternative?

I had a look at dante https://www.inet.no/dante/

FYI: for a company with about 15.000 machines we're using a cluster of
4 proxies.

Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Campus Benjamin Franklin (CBF)