[squid-users] I want to know the concerns of load testing

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Oct 2 06:20:50 UTC 2020

On 2/10/20 6:26 pm, m k wrote:
> Hello Please tell me additionally. 4. I only know Squid up to 3000
> users. Is there any case where Squid is used by a company that is used
> by more than 30,000 users? Please let me know if there is a large
> company using Squid. 5. What are the important point when using the
> "wokers" setting for multiple processes?

We do not measure HTTP proxies in terms of users because this is a
meaningless measurement.

One single User can flood the network and overload the proxy with traffic.

Or, many thousands could be connected and waiting with barely any
requests going through.

Or anything in between.

The important number is how many users you expect to make requests of
the proxy simultaneously at peak traffic time.

Be aware that what happens when Squid "overloads" its capacity is just
an increase in service latency. Users still receives and processes every
transaction. It can just take a short while longer than normal to
complete each - depending on which resource bottleneck that transaction
interacts with.