[squid-users] squid restart

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 08:36:46 UTC 2020

On Saturday, October 31, 2020, 4:08:23 PM GMT+1, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:

>> However, I set the following directive in squid.conf:
>>
>> max_filedescriptors 65536
>>
> Are you using systemd, SysV or another init ?

I'm using SysV on Gentoo Linux.

> It doesn't seem to be honored here unless I stop and restart the squid service again (/etc/init.d/squid restart from command line):
>
> File descriptor usage for squid:
>          Maximum number of file descriptors:   65535
>
> It seems that if I run the same command (/etc/init.d/squid restart) from crontab, that ulimit is not honored. I guess that's the root cause of my issue because I am asking cron to restart Squid once daily. I'll try not to, but I was hoping to see if there was a reliable way to fully restart the Squid process.
>
> Vieri

The init system restart command is the preferred one - it handles any
system details that need updating. Alternatively, "squid -k restart" can
be used.

The SysV init script works fine when run from command line or at boot time (and probably from a custom inittab script -- cannot confirm it yet). The problem shows up when running it from cron (I have cronie-1.5.4).
I'll take a look at the '-k restart' alternative.

Thanks,

Vieri