[squid-users] Squid does not cache file download by FileZilla and apache FTPCLIENT

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon May 25 06:44:42 UTC 2020

On 25/05/20 6:06 pm, david770514 wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> The "apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPHTTPClient" is sent as CONNECT tunnels
> through the proxy. Can I make it work through modifying the Squid? Let Squid
> can cache file when I sent as CONNECT tunnels through the proxy?

Since it uses the tunnel mechanism. No you cannot cache it.

What is inside the tunnel is not just a "file" downloaded. It is a whole
set of FTP messages going back and forth negotiating how the client is
logging into the server (anonymous or not), moving working directory
around within the FTP server and files (possibly more than one)
accessed, metadata about the files, and any temporary TCP connection
details of other tunnels being used for additional pieces of the
communication.

There is simply no way all that stuff can be cached and replayed as-is
to any other client without serious breakage happening.

Sorry, but unless you can find a way to get the client(s) to send Squid
ftp:// URLs requests in HTTP messages there is no caching.