[squid-users] Squid does not cache file download by FileZilla and apache FTPCLIENT

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu May 21 11:11:17 UTC 2020

On 21/05/20 9:35 pm, david770514 wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to implement FTP transfer via Squid proxy.
> I use Web browser (Firefox, IE) to download file by my PC after the PC
> already set the proxy server from Windows setting. The message in store.log
> shows Squid has cached the file on it properly.
>
> The problem is it isn't working when I use "FileZilla" or
> "apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPHTTPClient" to download file. I still be able to
> download the file from FTP server via Squid proxy, but Squid won't cache the
> file. I can't get message about the cache in store.log file.
>
> I tried set proxy server in FileZilla directly(don't set proxy on windows),
> and it still not cache, only download the file. Do I need have some special
> setting on FTPHTTPClient to make it happen?
>
> Is there anyone can help me?

Look at what requests is Squid seeing in access.log when you do these
downloads. Then find out what type of messaging the various settings in
that "apache.commons.net.ftp." config do.

* FTP sent as CONNECT tunnels through the proxy cannot be cached.

* FTP Native relay feature of Squid does not yet support caching IIRC.

* FTP sent as ftp:// URLs through the proxy should cache in accordance
with whatever details Squid is able to fetch from the FTP server about
file creation and modification times vs the Cache-Control limits sent by
the client.