[squid-users] squid 3.5 reverse proxy https configuration problem

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed May 20 16:59:47 UTC 2020

On 5/20/20 12:20 PM, sjmeyer wrote:
> I have a squid configured as a reverse proxy on RHEL 7.8
>
> the certificates on the squid box seem okay the squid -k parse passes,
> however when I attempt to access the back-end server via squid I get
>
> Error negotiating SSL connection on FD 13: error:14094416:SSL
> routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert certificate unknown (1/0)

AFAICT, your client (e.g., a browser) probably does not trust Squid's
certificate (i.e., /etc/squid/tls/devi_public.pem). Should it? What does
the client say?

> It'd my understanding to resolve the SSL error I need to add the CA of the
> backend sever to the RHEL trust store

If my understanding about the scope of the error is correct, then the
backend server is irrelevant. The error is between the TLS/HTTPS client
and Squid, not Squid and cache_peer. Squid has not yet contacted the
cache_peer at the time of this error.

HTH,

Alex.