[squid-users] Squid is using ipv4 for non-ssl connections

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jun 23 07:17:15 UTC 2020

On 23/06/20 9:14 am, Joshua Bazgrim wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm still fairly new to squid. Hoping someone can help me out.
> I have a tcp_outgoing_address for ipv6 that routes to nftables to give
> me a rotating ipv6 address.

Hint: you cannot talk to IPv4 servers using IPv6 address.

> However, on non-ssl calls, it uses ipv4 instead.
> Is there a way to have squid use ipv6 for non-ssl calls?
>
> curl -L -x PROXYIP:3128 http://api6.ipify.org # This returns an ipv4
> address through squid
> curl -L -x PROXYIP:3128 https://api6.ipify.org   # This returns an ipv6
> address through squid
>
> If I don't use the squid proxy, it properly returns an ipv6 for non-ssl
> connections.
>
> squid 4.9
> The squid.conf file is default besides tcp_outgoing_address
>
> Any ideas?

Tried investigating yet?
<https://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/DebugSections>

The domain you mention has a mix of both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses. Squid
should be using whichever it can connect to. There is a small bias
towards IPv6, but no guarantee.