[squid-users] Problem with squid proxy authentication configuration

Amiq Nahas m992493 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:32:14 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 6:48 PM Alex Rousskov
<rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:

> On 6/10/20 5:26 AM, Amiq Nahas wrote:
>
> > http_port 3128
>

> > I have configured 127.0.0.1:3128 as manual proxy in firefox.
> >
> > But when I try to connect to internet it displays "The proxy server is
> > refusing connections"
>
> Does your Squid run on the same machine as your browser? If yes, are
> there any errors or warnings in Squid's cache.log, access.log? Does
> "netstat -na" or equivalent (executed on the browser machine) show
> something listening for TCP/IPv4 connection on port 3128?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Squid is running on the same machine as the browser.
I have checked cache.log and access.log, there are no errors or
warnings that get generated when the browser shows the proxy refusing
connections error page.
I ran netstat -na and no 3128 port is not listening.

I should mention that before I added the below lines in the
configuration, it was running all running fine. I could browse the net
and was getting logs of websites visited in the access.log file.
So I am guessing these lines are the problem, but the more important
problem at hand is that 3128 port is not listening. Any thoughts?

acl ncsa src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/basic_ncsa_auth /etc/squid/squid_passwd
auth_param basic realm proxy
acl ncsa proxy_auth REQUIRED
http access allow ncsa

In case if system environment has something to do with the problem.
The system in question runs Ubuntu 18.04 with Linux-5.6.0-rc7.

Thanks
Amiq