[squid-users] Issue with SSL_BUMP and Office365 (for one...)

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jun 4 22:11:34 UTC 2020

On 6/4/20 4:21 PM, J. Dierkse wrote:

> I use it to intercept HTTP and HTTPS traffic in my network, and based on
> several ACLs forward it to different peer proxies.
> This is where the DNS load balancing trickery becomes a hassle for HTTPS
> connections;

> What I would like to do is if the request hostname matches an ACL
> (dstdomain or ssl::server_name), only do a splice for all ssl_bump
> steps.

That goal needs polishing or rephrasing -- one cannot splice more than
once -- but I think I know what you mean.

> Otherwise do a peek for step1 and a splice afterwards.

Here is a sketch for v5. Sorry, I do not remember if v4 is equally
capable (but it very well may be):

    # splice as soon as we detect specialHost
    ssl_bump splice specialHost
    # peek to get more info if needed
    ssl_bump peek all
    # optional: splice if we never detect specialHost
    ssl_bump splice all

... where specialHost is an ssl::server_name ACL.

> without having to build a version of squid with the host forgery detection turned

Those errors are a separate issue. Even the best possible ssl_bump
configuration can trigger them. They have been discussed many times on
this list before but if you have some new questions about them, please ask.

HTH,

Alex.