[squid-users] SQUID with cache_peer config + E2guardian - too many connections

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Jul 29 12:11:02 UTC 2020

On 29.07.20 13:58, Klaus Brandl wrote:
>because we had also a forwarding loop by connection 2 squids on the same host
>together via a parent statement. Then in the via header there was the same
>hostname 2 times, and this issued squid to detect a forwarding loop.
>Setting an other visible_hostname on one of the squids solved this problem.

there's a specific setting "unique_hostname" for these cases.

#  TAG: unique_hostname
#       If you want to have multiple machines with the same
#       'visible_hostname' you must give each machine a different
#       'unique_hostname' so forwarding loops can be detected.
#Default:
# Copy the value from visible_hostname

I just wonder why is this not set to $HOSTNAME by default, so setting same
visible_hostname on different servers would not require setting different
unique_hostname

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.