[squid-users] Problem with HAProxy + Squid 4.11 + Kerberos authentication

Klaus Brandl klaus_brandl at genua.de
Fri Jul 24 08:44:34 UTC 2020

Hi Brett,

but then you have a single point of failure, if your loadbalancer is down,
nothing will work. We need a solution, that each system can work by itself. So
at the moment we merge the keytabs of each system together, and we are able to
takeover the addresses of the other systems. Then we have no loadbalancing,
but a fallback solution, what is more important on our systems.

On Friday 24 July 2020 09:53:03 Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 06:07:39PM +0200, Klaus Brandl wrote:
> > But if anyone knows a solution, i will spread my ears :)
>
> What we do is:
>
> 1) create a user account in AD that will be used for the HA front end,
> set a password and export the keytab for this user
> 2) Use ktadmin to import the keytab entries for the user created in step
> 1 into the keytab for squid on the squid servers.
> 3) Set a SPN (setspn) in AD that maps HTTP://ha.fqdn.address to the user
> created in 1
>
> The SPN (service principal name) tells kerberos to use the user details
> set up in step 1 to authenticate http requests.  This works for us, has
> been for years.
>
> One thing, if you want to know the IP addresses of your clients in the
> squid logs you will need to do some extra stuff because all accesses
> will appear to come from the HA loadbalancer.  We have configured our
> load balancers to insert the X-Forwarded-For header into the http
> traffic and then modified the logging to log both the loadblancer and
> client IP.

Klaus

---

genua GmbH
Domagkstrasse 7, 85551 Kirchheim bei Muenchen
tel +49 89 991950-0, fax -999, www.genua.de

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Matthias Ochs, Marc Tesch
Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 98238
genua ist ein Unternehmen der Bundesdruckerei-Gruppe.