[squid-users] Simple REGEX not working...

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jul 23 03:58:50 UTC 2020

On 23/07/20 3:27 pm, David A. Gershman wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> After further testing, the looks like the only thing being regex'd
> against is the domain name.  I shrunk the RE down to just:
>
>     acl user_allowed url_regex http  # nothing more, just 'http'
>
> and it /*still*/ failed!!!  It's as if the "whole url" (claimed by the
> docs) is /not/ being compared against.  I'm just posting this here as an
> FYI...no solution has been found. :(

Squid uses basic regex without extensions - the basic operators that
work in both GNU regex and POSIX regex can be expected to work.

Your mistake is thinking that URL always looks like "https://example.com/".

For HTTPS traffic going through an HTTP proxy the URL is in
authority-form which looks like "example.com:443".
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-5.3.3>

> On 7/22/20 7:22 PM, David A. Gershman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the following in my config file:
>>
>>     acl user_allowed url_regex ^https://example\.com/
>>
>> but surfing to that site fails (authentication works fine).  My
>> ultimate goal is to have an RE comparable to the PCRE of:
>>
>>     ^https?:\/\/.*?example\.com\/
>>
>> While the PCRE works just fine in other tools (my own scripts, online,
>> etc.), I was unable to get it to work within Squid3.  As I stripped
>> away pieces of the RE in the config file, the only RE which seemed to
>> work was:
>>
>>     example\.com
>>
>> ...not even having the ending '/'.  However, this obviously does not
>> meet my needs.

To get to the scheme and path information for HTTPS traffic you need
SSL-Bump functionality built into the proxy and configured to decrypt
the TLS traffic layer.

OpenSSL license currently (soon to change, yay!) does not permit Debian
to distribute a Squid binary package with that feature enabled so you
will have to rebuild the squid package yourself with relevant additions
or install a package from an independent repository.

>> I'm on Debian 10 and am unable to determine which RE library Debian
>> compiled Squid3 against (I've got a Tweet out to them to see if they
>> can point me in the right direction).

Squid3 has been removed from Debian long ago. You should be using
"squid" package these days which is Squid-4 on all current Debian.

HTH