[squid-users] squid doesn't fetch the intermediate certificate for some sites

Dieter Bloms squid.org at bloms.de
Tue Jul 21 07:41:12 UTC 2020

Hello,

we use the sslbump feature and it works very well.
But some sites can't be reached because of missing intermediate
certificate.

In squid.conf we have configured the following parameters:

--snip--
# allow fetching of missing intermediate certificates
acl fetch_intermediate_certificate transaction_initiator certificate-fetching
http_access allow fetch_intermediate_certificate
cache allow fetch_intermediate_certificate
cache deny all
--snip--

and fetching the intermediate certificate works for sites like: https://incomplete-chain.badssl.com/

but for some sites like https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/
squid doesn't fetch the intermediate certificate and returns X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY

In my eyes the certificate of mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com contains an AiA
record.

output of openssl on certificate of mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com
--snip--
            Authority Information Access:
                CA Issuers - URI:http://trust.quovadisglobal.com/hydsslg2.crt
                OCSP - URI:http://ocsp.quovadisglobal.com
--snip--

so does anybody see what's the reason, why squid doesn't download the
intermediate certificate for mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com ?

--
Regards

  Dieter Bloms