[squid-users] Forcing squid to fail when the whitelist doesn't exist

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matt at mockingbirdconsulting.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 15:51:27 UTC 2020

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 16:30, Alex Rousskov <rousskov at measurement-factory.com>
wrote:

> On 7/9/20 2:25 AM, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> >
> >     > I'll check the version that we're running and see if I can do
> this.  I
> >     > suspect that due to "enterprise requirements" our version won't be
> the
> >     > latest, but hopefully it will support this.
> >
> >     AFAICT, all supported Squid versions have parameters(). You will
> need to
> >     enable configuration_includes_quoted_values in squid.conf to get that
> >     feature. IIRC, that directive was supposed to be on by default, but
> that
> >     cannot happen until we fix regex support (at least).
>
> > Turns out we're running 3.5.x
>
> I have not tested this, but if my quick reading of the latest v3.5 code
> is correct, then the missing parameters() file is treated as a FATAL
> configuration error (in ConfigParser::NextToken). How do you use
> parameters()? What happens when you use parameters() with an existing
> file? A missing file?

For some reason, the behaviour is the same (it starts regardless).

For now, I've added a conditional into the SystemD service file that checks
for the whitelist and only starts if it is present, and that works.

I've also logged a ticket in our internal tracker to look into upgrading to
v4 of squid, so for now it's working even if it's not the prettiest
behaviour!

Thanks for all your help :)

Matt

Mockingbird Consulting