[squid-users] Need help setting up DD-WRT router to use Squid as a transparent proxy

Robert Marshall robertjm at hockeyhockeyhockey.com
Thu Jan 16 08:30:00 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a transparent proxy on my network so that all devices
are forced to use Squid/SquidGuard for network traffic, and can filter out
undesirable destinations.

I have Squid/SquidGuard running on a Raspberry Pi 4, running the latest
release of Raspian Buster. The route is a D-Link DIR-860L, flashed with the
01/14/20 build of DD-WRT. I tried using the instructions at DD-WRT. But, am
running into problems.

Squid/SquidGuard works fine if I enter in a manual proxy in my Firefox
browser. However, when I go to configure my router's settings I have
problems. The error message that's coming up says that I'm passing an
invalid URL, and the only thing that shows in the error message is the /.
This is happening on ALL webpages I try and go to, not just the ones which
SquidGuard is set to filter out.

Helpful hints or directions will be greatly appreciated!

Robert