[squid-users] squid to only allow office activation and not windows updates

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 11 01:40:39 UTC 2020

On 11/01/20 11:46 am, robert k Wild wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have added all these lines to my squid config as it wasnt allowing
> office activation
>
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
>
> but now its allowing office activation and now windows updates but i
> dont want it to do windows updates as this is managed by our WSUS server

That would be right then. As the wiki page name indicates that config is
all about allowing WindowsUpdate.

> what are the corect lines to just do the office activation

This is a strong indication you still do not understand how ACLs work.

So your reference points are:
 <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl>
and
 <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/acl/>

> as when i comment out all the lines i get this
>
> 0 - TCP_DENIED/403 3810 GET
> http://www.microsoft.com/pkiops/certs/Microsoft%20ECC%20Product%20Root%20Certificate%20Authority%202018.crt

That then is the first URL you need to let clients access.

Once that is accessible the activation process will get further and
there may be others. When you know the whole set there may be some
optimizations your rules can use to simplify the final config.