[squid-users] Does Squid proxy passes client/server MIME type such as application/x-protobuf?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 11 01:32:05 UTC 2020

On 11/01/20 11:27 am, GeorgeShen wrote:

> I would like to know in the case of proxy, can be ssl-bump, does the squid
> proxy passes the http MIME type to the other side of the connection?

SSL-Bump is about the TLS protocol. It has nothing to do with HTTP
messages or headers.

The standard rules for HTTP are applied to plain-text HTTP messages, and
to the decrypted HTTP(S) messages equally.

A proxy passes the mime type appropriate for the message it is
delivering. If that message payload is being relayed the mime type will
be transmitted along with it.
 (There are cases in HTTP when new messages are generated to replace the
received one, or where the message originates at the proxy, or stops at
the proxy).

> such as
> application/x-protobuf, application/json, text/plain, etc. What is the
> expectation on this for the other HTTP header information?

Mime type is a Content-* header - related to the payload itself. Squid
(and all HTTP proxies) do as little with relayed payloads as possible.
Ideally they just send it onwards and/or store for delivery later - the
recipient of the message is responsible for anything which mime header
may be involved with.