[squid-users] Youtube and other search engines strict enfrocment in Squid?

NgTech LTD ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:43:50 UTC 2020

I have seen this article at:
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227986807-How-to-Enforcing-Google-SafeSearch-YouTube-and-Bing

Which offers a solution in the DNS resolution level from one domain to
another using CNAME records.
The basic example would be:
www.youtube.com
restrict.youtube.com

The restrict.youtube.com host/service requires the destinations to be
legal ie not the CNAME itself.
This is a basc DNS based solution and I was wondering about a solution for this.
For now the real solution I have found was to install a local BIND
which forwards the queries to an upstream caching service.
On/In the local BIND we can define using RPZ these CNAMES like the example at:
https://www.cwssoft.com/?p=1577

I have not found another solution else then using hosts file on the
Squid host and updating it accordingly.
I have found a tiny update script at:
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/use-dns-to-force-youtube-into-restricted-mode-and-pi-hole/1996/7

Which seems to do the job and I am pretty sure it can work good enough for many.

Are there any other known ways to do this?

Thanks,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru