[squid-users] Anyone has experience with Windows clients DNS timeout

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Dec 30 13:38:16 UTC 2020

Hai Elizer,

Now this im having here also, took me 6 months but my internet provider
is now finaly going to fix it. Often its out of bandwith..
in my case this was a change they did in the background.
In the netherlands i know lots of fiber providers dont monitor there bandwith, i builded some monitoring servers for one of them, thats how i know. They dont care because the just say, ah.. fiber sufficient bandwith..
:-/

> I cannot change the way how optic communication cables are managed but
> I can control my windows or proxy.
> Since the proxy can be tuned easily compared to the root servers
> themselves or any other lower level DNS services I might choose to use
> a proxy.
Test agains other dns servers and track the route there are using..
in my above problem i tracked this from 5 different providers to find the problem point.

> In the ISP world the provider have two or more DNS servers which
> sometimes can respond slower then expected.
> It's a fact that we need two or more DNS servers but when you manage a
> DNS server or start a BIND recursive server you will able to see this
> issue.
> On the first recursive request for a link with 20-80+ ms delay it is
> possible that either a packet lost on the way or that the overall
> response is higher then 10 seconds.
Also here, if you can monitor your devices, check if you see UDP loss/reject.

> The only reasonable solution I can see is to set the clients or the
> proxy according to the environment.
both will and should work..

> For example a local on premise DNS caching service(dnsmasq, unbound,
> bind) should help a bit to some cases.
> The next level is to pre-warm the cache for the root servers.
> If this doesn't help fix the Clients windows timeout from 2 seconds to
> more..(10-15).

Thats still in my opinion the first one you need to track and find where
The delay is happening.

> If the above seems to not resolve the issues then and only then it's
> the proxy time.
>
> I think I found the basic way to define this in The Windows registry
> but not sure.
> These documents can describe this issue at:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-
> versions//cc977482(v=technet.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN
> https://serverfault.com/questions/431207/adjust-windows-dns-timeout-
> similar-to-the-linux-resolv-conf
> https://thehotery.name/windows/network/dns
> https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.brow
> ser/c/TrUhaEZEtIw/m/dZOB6Z8AvN0J
>
> The default registry key is not present but the value is:
> ## START of text file
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
> "DNSQueryTimeouts"=hex(7):31,00,00,00,32,00,00,00,32,00,00,00,34,00,00,00,
> 38,00,00,00,00,00
> ## END of text file
>
> A modified one is:
> ## START of text file
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
> "DNSQueryTimeouts"=hex(7):34,00,00,00,38,00,00,00,38,00,00,00,31,00,36,00,
> 00,00,33,00,32,00,00,00,00,00
> ## END of text file

Beware, you can change that, but i know some parts in windows use some windowsDNS, and if you disable/change that, you MS Store might also stop working. fingered that out the hard way. :-(