[squid-users] Anyone has experience with Windows clients DNS timeout

NgTech LTD ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 20:02:22 UTC 2020

I have seen this issue on Windows clients over the past.
Windows nslookup shows that the query has timed out after 2 seconds.
On Linux and xBSD I have researched this issue and have seen that:
the DNS server is doing a recursive lookup and it takes from 7 to 10++
seconds sometimes.
When I pre-warn the DNS cache and the results are cached it takes
lower then 500 ms for a response to be on the client side and then
everything works fine.

I understand that Windows DNS client times out..
When using froward proxy with squid or any other it works as expected
since the DNS resolution is done on the proxy server.
However for this issue I believe that this timeout should be increased
instead of moving to DNS over HTTPS.

I would like to hear if anyone has any resolution for this issue on
the Windows clients side.

Thanks,
Eliezer

----