[squid-users] How do I rotate access.log?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Dec 29 16:40:46 UTC 2020

On 12/29/20 10:36 AM, roee klinger wrote:

>     logfile_rotate 10
>     access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log logformat=xxxx rotate=10

> running "squid -k rotate" still does nothing for the access.log file.

Please note that, according to Squid documentation, your Squid is
slightly misconfigured:

> 	rotate=N		Specifies the number of log file rotations to
> 				make when you run 'squid -k rotate'. [...]
> 				Only supported by the stdio module.

You are not using an "stdio" module. You are using a "daemon" module.

This minor misconfiguraiton, if any, does not explain the lack of
rotations. The deamon module should still rotate based on your global
logfile_rotate directive setting.

What is your Squid version? What logging and rotation-related messages
do you see in your cache.log (check both the pre-rotation and
post-rotation files)?