[squid-users] squid writes to /var/log/messages

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Dec 21 13:44:00 UTC 2020

On 21.12.20 14:29, sampei02 at tiscali.it wrote:
>My distro is Centos7 and rsyslog is enabled and It’s  configured to write
>to /var/log/messages; it’s the default behaviour.  But how can I avoid
>Squid writes into this file?  I chose the Squid default log files which are
>contained into /var/log/squid/ folder.

note that the messages you poster are usually sent to cache_log, not
access_log, so check your cache_log settings.

as noted below, the "-s" option for squid makes it log to syslog, so you
need to remove that option off your systemd unit file or init.d file,
whichever is used on centos7.

>> On 21 Dec 2020, at 11:31, Ambrose Li <ambrose.li at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Squid does not write to /var/log/messages. On startup before Squid reads any
>>> configuration about whether cache.log or syslog is to be used it logs to
>>> stderr.
>>>
>>> That stderr channel is handled by whatever init system or shell is starting
>>> Squid. /var/log/messages is the init system log file.
>>
>> Actually no, /var/log/messages is not an init system log file; on some Linux
>> distros it is a default log location for syslog.
>>
>> I can confirm that squid will write to /var/log/messages if syslog logging is
>> enabled AND syslog is configured to write to /var/log/messages (this is the
>> default behaviour on some Linux distributions, such as Debian, but not Ubuntu).

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watkins.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig