[squid-users] squid writes to /var/log/messages

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:31:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:01:07PM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 21/12/20 9:55 pm, sampei02 at tiscali.it wrote:
> > Ok, I noted these 2 squid processes:
> >
> > root		/usr/sbin/squid -sYC
> > squid       (squid-1) --kid squid-1 -sYC
> >
> > -s means "Enable logging to syslog”
> >
> > This option ‘-s’ could explain writing to messages ?
>
> Squid does not write to /var/log/messages. On startup before Squid reads any
> configuration about whether cache.log or syslog is to be used it logs to
> stderr.
>
> That stderr channel is handled by whatever init system or shell is starting
> Squid. /var/log/messages is the init system log file.

Actually no, /var/log/messages is not an init system log file; on some Linux
distros it is a default log location for syslog.

I can confirm that squid will write to /var/log/messages if syslog logging is
enabled AND syslog is configured to write to /var/log/messages (this is the
default behaviour on some Linux distributions, such as Debian, but not Ubuntu).

--
Ambrose Li <ambrose.li at gmail.com> | Time zone: GMT-5 (Eastern)
ambroseli.ca

“Any organization which designs a system… will inevitably produce a
 design whose structure is a copy of the organization’s communication
 structure.” — Conway’s Law