[squid-users] authorized by pcname

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sat Dec 12 13:20:13 UTC 2020

On Saturday 12 December 2020 at 14:03:23, sampei02 at tiscali.it wrote:

> What Squid mechanism do you suggest me to identify the “computer name” ?
> What solution/corretion can I make to my environment to apply my idea?

A few suggestions:

1. Why not get your DHCP server to allocate IP addresses according to MAC
address; then your clients will get fixed addresses again and you can use those
in your ACLs.

2. Alternatively, get your DHCP server to update a local DNS server, and point
Squid at that so that it can look up the names of the PCs in DNS (without
needing to know about NetBIOS) and you can use those.

3. Get your users to authenticate to Squid as people, not as computers; then
you can apply the appropriate rules for who is trying to do stuff instead of
assuming who is using which computer.

4. Why have you switched from static addressing to DHCP?  If you need DHCP to
cater for machines which "temporarily visit" your network, how about just
allocating a subnet range for those and continue to use static addresses for
the machines you know about?

Regards,

Antony.

--
A good conversation is like a miniskirt;
short enought to retain interest,

 - Celeste Headlee

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.