[squid-users] authorized by pcname

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Dec 12 09:48:59 UTC 2020

On 11/12/20 3:55 am, sampei02 wrote:
> Can I set acl to authorize specific computer name by http_access directive ?

Maybe. That depends on whether there is any mechanism for Squid to
identify the "computer name".

> I used usually acl <name<> src <ip> but I’d like to specify Netbios name, so I Thought  as client IP address is sent to squid It’ll be the same thing with pc name.

Your thought is both right and wrong.

NetBOIS name plays the same role as IP address - both are the "address"
of the client machine in their relevant protocols.

However, Squid does not use or implement NetBIOS protocol to talk to
clients. Squid only uses IP based protocols.

Sometimes NTLM credentials contain the NetBIOS name of a "NetBIOS node"
machine.

Or IDENT protocol can be used to directly query the client about its
name. *IF* that protocol is supported and enabled on the client.