[squid-users] Sqlite3 with Squid

Eliezer Croitor ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 23:03:00 UTC 2020

Thanks Antony,

>From what I have seen in the past many embedded devices like Android or iPhone or even Firewalls use Sqlite.
It's good for Firmwares..
Let say I am a vendor of a proxy and I want to be able to pull single config file from one device to the other.
Let say for a testing lab, ie I have a specific test case and I need the to test the proxy\fw\firmware.
If I wrote a perl script it would probably work for then next 20++ years.
It's possible to take a proxy firmware and based on the Sqlite re-produce a very similar setup on different hardware.
We can call this similar pretty exact assuming the hardware and the OS are taking care of the relevant lower levels.

Indeed squid doesn't need to know where it came from, however the input can vary from device to device and environment.
Technically speaking we might be able to script with some help couple of these things.
For example Localnet, Manager, Ports, SSL_SAFE Ports, Certificate creation and Input validation scripts.
I believe that these days some things in squid are pretty static.
For example there were some integer overflow that was detected in the past for something.
Once the input validation is done in another separate process we can separate the logic into an external acl helper and ICAP.
The only issue now is the "cache" cleanup cycle.

Amos or Alex might remember or know how to trigger external_acl helper cache cleanup.
I don't know what it might affect since there is some context code per request or connection or session.

Can someone help me only to grasp this concept?

Thanks,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru