[squid-users] Squid with more than 128 ports?

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:39:22 UTC 2020

Hey Anthony,

Giving this a second thought, I believe I didn't explain myself correctly.

I have 5 Squid servers, each listening on 80 ports, I would like to add
another
Squid server in the middle of the client and these servers to
authenticate users
before sending them to their ports. I already have ACL controls and auth
control tools
which I wrote and are working fine.

My question is regarding how to configure this, I have found this
configuration online
but I am not sure how it will work performance-wise with 500+ proxies
(could be 1000s in
the future):

http_port 3128 name=port_3128
> http_port 3127 name=port_3127
> nonhierarchical_direct off
> acl port_3128_acl myportname port_3128
> acl port_3127_acl myportname port_3127
> always_direct deny port_3128_acl
> always_direct deny port_3127_acl
> never_direct allow port_3128_acl
> never_direct allow port_3127_acl
> # 3128
> cache_peer proxy1 parent 3128 0 proxy-only default name=proxy3128
> cache_peer_access proxy3128 allow port_3128_acl
> cache_peer_access proxy3128 deny all
> # 3127
> cache_peer proxy2 parent 3128 0 proxy-only default name=proxy3127
> cache_peer_access proxy3127 allow port_3127_acl
> cache_peer_access proxy3127 deny all

Combine these 2000+ lines in squid.conf with 2 external ACLs and a custom
authenticator,
can this cause a hit on performance or should it be no problem for squid to
handle?