[squid-users] FTP proxy

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Dec 7 15:08:42 UTC 2020

On 12/7/20 5:03 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> I'm talking about the ports used by the clients to conect to Squid
> (besides 21), using passive FTP (i.e. those returned by PASV command).

Just to avoid misunderstanding, "those returned by PASV command" should
be interpreted as "ports returned by Squid to the client in response to
the client PASV command". The PASV command itself does not list ports.

When handling a PASV command, Squid creates a listening socket bound to
an ephemeral TCP port selected by the operating system. Ephemeral port
ranges are usually handled by your OS ephemeral ports setting (e.g.,
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range).

HTH,