[squid-users] Squid 3.5 - icap parsing error

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Aug 30 01:48:31 UTC 2020

On 8/29/20 6:04 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 29/08/20 8:29 am, VON EUW Andreas wrote:
>> Squid does send a OPTIONS request to the icap server.
>>
>> We get a valid answer from Symantec Protection Engine.

As Amos correctly pointed out, the answer Squid gets is syntactically
invalid. The packet captures you have attached (thank you!) confirm that
the ICAP server forgets to send an empty line after the first 650 bytes
of the ICAP response header.

>> But squid fails afterwards with a parsing exception:

More accurately, the exception is thrown later than the not-yet-failing
log lines you quoted. Here is the exception line:

  2020/08/26 10:04:54.593| 93,3| ...
Adaptation::Icap::Xaction::noteCommRead threw exception: parsed || !error

> So Squid is waiting for the rest of the headers to arrive from the server.

Yes, and (3ms later) Squid reads the EOF on the ICAP connection and
(correctly) throws the above exception.

Hopefully, you get get a fixed version of the ICAP server from Symantec.

Cheers,