[squid-users] R: Basic explanation on configuration

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at edu.ti.ch
Thu Aug 13 15:00:14 UTC 2020

Thank you for your precious help, Amos.
It was very helpful. :-)

Best regards.
Robi

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: squid-users <squid-users-bounces at lists.squid-cache.org> Per conto di Amos Jeffries
Inviato: martedì, 11 agosto 2020 00:47
A: squid-users at lists.squid-cache.org
Oggetto: Re: [squid-users] Basic explanation on configuration

On 10/08/20 8:43 pm, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I need to build a new linux server with squid to replace an old one.
>
> The old server is running squid version 3.3.8 and authenticates
> against Active Directory. In the conf I see ldap, ntlm, kerberos and
> negotiator
> + wbinfo.
>

> The new server is running squid version 4.4.8. I’m trying to keep it
> simple and keep the conf file clean.
>
> That’s why for authentication and authorization I try to use only
> basic_ldap_auth and ext_ldap_group_acl.
>

> I would like to understand the basics of squid.conf but I find the
> online documentation is missing the basics.. for instance I believe
> the acl directive uses logical ‘and’ when using multiple values on the
> same line, and uses logical ‘or’ when using multiple lines for the
> same acl name..

Which part of the online documentation are you looking at?

On the official website (<http://www.squid-cache.org/>) menu under "Documentation" we have several sources:

 * Reference guide - for detailed description of a specific directive if you are needing reminder of usage or specific details of its operation.

 * Examples - how-to config snippets for common installation needs.

 * Books for learning Squid; beginners guide, and expert reference.

 * FAQ and Wiki for more up to date alternative to the books.

 <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl#And.2FOr_logic>

<https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl#Access_Lists>

> What I need to implement is more or less this :
>

> 5)      Some websites are forbidden for everybody

  acl blacklist dstdomain ...
  http_access deny blacklist

> 1)      Every user needs to provide valid username and password (from AD).

 auth_param ...

 acl login proxy_auth REQUIRED
 http_access deny !login

> 4)      Some websites are accessible without being in group 2) or in
file 3)

  acl whitelist dstdomain ...
  http_access allow whitelist

> 2)      Users who belongs to a given AD group, can go on and access
> the internet

  external_acl_type groups ...

  acl groupCheck external groupName
  http_access allow groupCheck

> > 6)      Some websites are allowed only for users in group 2)

  acl forbidOthers dstdomain ...

> 3)      Other users need to be inside a file. If they are found in
> that file, they can access the internet

  acl otherUsers proxy_auth parameters("/etc/squid/usernames_allowed")
  http_access allow !forbidOthers otherUsers

  http_accss deny all

Note the order of policy enforcement. Deny as much as possible first, allow later. Faster ACL types first whenever possible.