[squid-users] Chrome not working anymore since 4.12 release

mabi mabi at protonmail.ch
Thu Aug 13 10:24:43 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am using Squid as transparent proxy for HTTP and HTTPS traffic on an  OpenBSD 6.7 firewall. Since I have upgraded from Squid version 4.11 to 4.12 my Chrome browser is not able to visit any HTTPS websites. Firefox continues to work fine.

Older versions of Chrome show a ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE error and newer versions of Chrome show a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error.

If I revert back to Squid 4.11 Chrome works again. I have not changed anything in my Squid config or any other configuration file of the firewall.

I believe this issue might have something to do with the following change introduced in 4.12:

 2020-05-06 10:09:50 +0300	Christos Tsantilas	+199 -28		SslBump: Disable OpenSSL TLSv1.3 support for older TLS traffic (#620)

Source: http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/changesets/SQUID_4_12.html

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Best regards,
Mabi