[squid-users] I would like to know performance sizing aspects.

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 6 23:29:46 UTC 2020

On 6/08/20 5:28 pm, m k wrote:
> Eliezer,
>
> Squid's default setting is 1 core CPU, 16GB mem.
> How many URLs(Blacklist) will degrade Squid's performance?

Eliezer's answer covers that already, so I will skip here.

> Also, SSL-Bump.

This is "unknown" - as far as I am aware none has published numbers
recently about it. There are a lot of factors in the network traffic and
your servers internal state (eg the RNG engine) that multiply up to
cause varying amounts of delay - plus the volatile nature of this
feature set itself month by month changes the effects or relevance of
each factor.
  So numbers from me today will be wrong in a few weeks, or may be wrong
for your network already. All that we can be sure of is that there is
extra work needed by Squid thus "slower" than plain-text HTTP is to be
expected.

For planning the consideration is just to be aware that the numbers we
can give you (for plain-text) will be over-estimates of capacity for
SSL-Bump traffic and allow some margins. Once you have an install
running you can test and measure the actual numbers for your traffic.