[squid-users] Setting up proxy with private to public

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Apr 14 14:31:45 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 14 April 2020 at 16:03:19, Chris Bidwell - NOAA Federal wrote:

> Okay, so I think I'm starting to get somewhere but the connection isn't
> completing. I can see the connection come through my firewall, but the
> handshake doesn't appear to be happening.

Tell us more about your network setup.  Is the firewall between the clients and
Squid, between Squid and the Internet, or do you have both?

Can you do a simple Ping test from a client machine to the Squid server (and
get replies)?

Can you do the same from the Squid server to some Internet-based web server
(making sure it's one which replies to pings - some machines are badly
configured and don't do this).

> My squid access log is saying:  TCP_MISS/503.

I'm sure it says a lot more than that, but at least it's an indication that
your client is getting the request through to Squid okay.

Assuming the Ping test from Squid to an Internet web server works, what
happens if you try wget, lynx, curl or even telnet to port 80, from the Squid
server to some external web server?  Does it indicate that the Squid server
has "Internet access"?

Antony.

--
Programming is a Dark Art, and it will always be. The programmer is
fighting against the two most destructive forces in the universe:

 - Damian Conway, Perl God

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.