[squid-users] Squid transparent not caching apt requests from deb.debian.org

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Apr 6 22:27:43 UTC 2020

On 7/04/20 3:49 am, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 4/4/20 8:02 PM, zrm wrote:
>> Attached cache.log excerpt for wget-wget-apt-apt-wget-wget. It answers
>> the apt requests from the cache once it's in there, it just won't cache
>> it to begin with when apt makes the request
>
> Thank you for sharing this log. I agree with your conclusion. The apt
> query results in cache revalidation and does not purge the already
> cached copy. This conclusion eliminates a few suspects.
>
> There is probably something special about the combination of an apt
> request and a 200 OK miss response that prevents Squid from caching that
> response. I do not see anything wrong in the logs you have already
> already posted. Perhaps others will spot something.

zrm, can you please do a clean test for the apt sequence exactly as Alex
requested rather than just referring to the earlier one done. A swapout
timing overlap by as much as a few nanoseconds in the original test
could mean the different between HIT and MISS. So anyone able to find
this will need those details to work with.