[squid-users] --foreground vs -N

B. Cook bcook at poughkeepsieschools.org
Wed Sep 18 17:59:37 UTC 2019

tl;dr:
is there any functional difference between the two?

Using runit to handle my squid processes.

I have Observium graphing system information.

My data/traffic is consistent

In my run file I changed from squid -N to squid --foreground

#!/bin/sh -e

exec \
chpst -o 131070 \
chpst -e ./env \
/usr/sbin/squid --foreground -s
# /usr/sbin/squid -N -s

I made the change at 10:30 and the cpu usage increased.

cpu graph: https://imgur.com/a/PWrpDcM
memory graph: https://imgur.com/a/uUhwHA6
bandwidth graph: https://imgur.com/a/dzHDiKO
(bandwidth has trend applied)

I can not tell from the graph if 'performance' increased or 'latency'
decreased.. but cpu usage certainly did increase.

I have no workers defined.

stock squid.conf plus this:

<code>
cache deny all
shutdown_lifetime 1 seconds
dns_nameservers 10.20.8.29
cache_mem 1024 MB
cache_mgr Support_ at _PCSD_0_120
dns_defnames off
dns_v4_first on
max_filedescriptors 65536
ipcache_size 4096
read_ahead_gap 512 KB
quick_abort_min 1024 KB
pid_filename /run/squid/squid.pid
forwarded_for off
eui_lookup off
hosts_file none
url_rewrite_extras "%>a %un %>rm myip=%la myport=%lp"
store_id_extras "%>a %un %>rm myip=%la myport=%lp"
log_uses_indirect_client off
</code>

Archlinux squid 4.8, 4.19.72-1-lts kernel

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this..

--
Network Analyst
Poughkeepsie City School District

This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for
the individual(s) named. If you are not an intended recipient you are not
authorized to disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and
delete this e-mail from your system.