[squid-users] How to extend Squid ICAP preview size

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Sep 16 19:54:29 UTC 2019

On 9/16/19 2:58 PM, Felipe Arturo Polanco wrote:

> In our case we don't need to modify the initial 10MB, just scan it for
> virus and if found, send a reset back to squid to not transmit the file.

Yes, my original response was based on that assumption.

In summary, you can ask Squid to own the 10MB prefix (i.e. do a huge
ICAP Preview) or you can ask the ICAP server to own the 10MB prefix
(i.e. extend ICAP 206). The choice balances various trade-offs,
including different overheads and different risks related to Squid
development associated with each option. Pick your poison :-).

Alex.