[squid-users] Squid Transparent Proxy with Coovachilli is not working

sknz sakibnizam at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 04:57:48 UTC 2019

eht1 is not useless really, Coovachilli created tun0 under eth1. Yes, I've
heard about stateful firewall, though this is not my domain of expertise.

/CoovaChilli takes control of the internal interface (eth1) using a raw
promiscuous socket. It then uses the vtun kernel module to bring up a
virtual interface tun0 to pass and receive packets to and from the
eth0(WAN). In fact, the vtun kernel module is used to move IP packets from
the kernel to user mode, in such a way that CoovaChilli can function without
any non-standard kernel modules. CoovaChilli then provides DHCP, ARP, and
HTTP Hijacking on the "dhcpif" interface, in our case that's eth0/