[squid-users] caching and changing content

fansari nabil1385 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 08:25:49 UTC 2019

In my scenrio (squid 3.5.23) I have several clients which download content.

Now I want to achieve two things: if one client has already downloaded the
content the second client requesting the same content should take it from
the squid cache.

But: when this content resource on the internet is changing the squid should
not give a HIT but a MISS and refresh the content the next time a client is
requesting it.

It is not clear to me how to achieve this behaviour.

The application (server on internet) sends headers like this:

cache-control: public, max-age=0
last-modified: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 07:30:56 GMT
etag: W/"6699e3-16d2461dba1"

So far I could only achieve HITs using refresh_pattern with min value > 0.

refresh_pattern .               30       20%     1440 override-expire

But also this configuration is not exactly what  I want.

Now even if the content of a resource on the internet is changing I get HITs
for 30 min.