[squid-users] usage of etag

fansari nabil1385 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 13:21:14 UTC 2019

Assuming my web application sends headers with information like this:

Cache-Control: public, max-age=0
Last-Modified: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 08:50:29 GMT
ETag: W/"ed52a4-16cb8852696"

Now I was under the impression I could do something like this with curl:

ETAG='ed52a4-16cb8852696'
curl --head --header 'if-none-match: W/'\"${ETAG}\" --cacert ${CERT} --proxy
${PROXY} --proxy-insecure --insecure ${URL}

and then set ETAG either to the real ETag (then I would expect a HIT) or to
some other value (then I would expect a MISS and the content reloaded again
from the internet).

Nevertheless when I run curl with wrong etag I get HITs.

Does squid not work this way or have I to configure something special?