[squid-users] Call for adaptation after sni peeked

Jatin Bhasin jbhasin83 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 07:25:16 UTC 2019

Hi Alex,

If I use below squid configuration:

    ssl_bump peek step1
    ssl_bump splice all

I would see fake connect request in step 2 as well. I did not check squid
version 4 but squid version 3 will send second fake connect in ecap adapter
only if we splice step 2 which will be true in above configuration.
But I don't want to splice step 2, well not always. I want my ecap adapter
to get fake connect in all cases in step 2 so that I can then make a
decision on step 2 whether to splice or bump in step 2.
In other words at the end of step 1 squid could make a call to adaptation
acl (it does not currently) which will help to make decisions based on sni
(if available).

As per my understanding squid makes call to adaptation acl in following
cases:
Step 1 - At start of connection but here only ip is available.
Step 2 - only when splicing
I did not check any further from here because then mostly its too late to
bump anyway.

I am happy to send following to another group if you can suggest:
I made a manual code change for acl adaptation at the end of step 1 and I
was able to send fake connect with sni to ecap. I wanted to understand from
experts if these changes are incorrect and may causes issues in some cases
I don't know about?

Thanks,
Jatin