[squid-users] SIGBUS attempting to use rock

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Oct 17 18:53:54 UTC 2019

On 10/17/19 12:28 PM, Antonio SJ Musumeci wrote:

> After a lot of tinkering and turning on full debug I realized the reason
> rock was failing for me in my container was due to the small default SHM
> size allocated by Docker. Increasing the SHM size with `--shm-size`
> fixed the issue.
>
> It'd be significantly more helpful if the Squid reported precisely what
> the issue and exited gracefully rather than SIGBUS'ing.

Does enabling shared_memory_locking in squid.conf trigger the behavior
you want?

If yes, then you may be wondering why this is not the default setting.
The answer is in the following two squid-dev messages. Message [1] is a
high-level description. Message [2] contains more low-level details and
examples of ~60 second startup delays that locking may cause.

[1] http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-dev/2016-March/005260.html

[2]
http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-dev/2015-December/004112.html

Enhancing shared memory management (e.g., implementing ideas mentioned
in the "As we gain more experience" paragraph of [1]) is welcomed.

HTH,