[squid-users] Guidance needed. Issues with WPAD and Firefox

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Oct 3 05:45:29 UTC 2019

On 3/10/19 5:55 pm, Erick Perez - Quadrian Enterprises wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM Erick Perez - Quadrian Enterprises wrote:
>>
>> Hi, maybe somebody here experienced the same issues while working with
>> WPAD files.
>>
>> I have a working Centos 7.6/SQUID v4.8 that works as expected.
>> It works as long as I manually configure the proxy in the network
>> settings of each workstation (windows) firefox browser 69.0.1 (64bit)
>> and the same behavior with IE and Chrome.
>>
>> if I open http://squid_fqdn/wpad.dat the file gets downloaded and has
>> all the info.
>> apache logs show me the client is properly connecting and requesting the file.
>>
>> the wpad.dat has two lines

That is one problem. The PAC file is supposed to define a fully formed
function like so:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
  if (isPlainHostName(host)) return "DIRECT";
    return "PROXY squid_fqdn:8080";}

You also need to ensure the web server is producing the HTTP response
with a "Content-Type: application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig" header or it
will fail.

see <http://findproxyforurl.com/> for more info about WPAD/PAC.