[squid-users] Proper separation of multiple squid instances on the same machine

Robert Senger rs-squid at lists.microscopium.de
Thu Nov 28 21:34:53 UTC 2019

Hi there,

a couple of week ago I've separated a rather complex squid installation
into two instances running on the same machine.

The setup of these two instances is almost identical, despite different
tcp_outgoing_address and stuff like that.

All files on disk and all listening ports are set to different paths /
values, so the instances should not interfere with each other.

However, today I realized that squid creates files in /dev/shm:

root at prokyon:/dev/shm# ls -l
insgesamt 2292
-rw-------. 1 proxy    proxy          8 Nov 28 22:27 squid-cf__metadata.shm
-rw-------. 1 proxy    proxy       8216 Nov 28 22:27 squid-cf__queues.shm
-rw-------. 1 proxy    proxy         36 Nov 28 22:27 squid-cf__readers.shm
-rw-------. 1 proxy    proxy    2103672 Nov 28 22:27 squid-tls_session_cache.shm

These files are created when the first instance starts. When the second
instance starts, the files get updated/recreated (new mtime/ctime).

When any of the running instances is stopped, the files are deleted.

So, the two instances collide here.

My questions:

1. Is this a problem?
2. If so, what must I do?

And yes, I am having issues with browsers failing to load page elements from time to time (mostly images, sometimes styles or scripts).

Thanks for help,

Robert

--
Robert Senger