[squid-users] not getting tcp_hit on squid 3.5.27

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Nov 23 03:46:43 UTC 2019

On 23/11/19 3:02 pm, I.T. Helpdesk - San Antonio Resort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have setup squid 3.5.27 as proxy server, on my access log, I don’t get
> “tcp_hit” but “tcp_tunnel”, for sure squid in working fine but it not
> getting data from local disk cache. do I need to tweak on my squid conf
> file?

TUNNEL traffic is opaque binary stream, it cannot be cached.

If these tunnels are CONNECT requests to port 443, then they are
probably HTTPS and you can achieve some amount of caching by decrypting
the traffic. Up to you whether you want to do that though, you need to
be able to install CA certificate on all your clients machines.

There are legal issues too that you will need to look into before doing
anything like decrypting clients traffic.