[squid-users] Using access_log directive to filter based on src IP or regex

Henning Schroeder schroedh at gmail.com
Mon May 13 11:54:12 UTC 2019

Hi there,

I'm hosting two squid servers (Version 4.6) on CentOS in Azure, which are
placed behing an Azure load balancer.

The LB has a health probe which constantly polls the squid servers on port
3128.

In the access.log, I can find a whole lot of entries like:

1557738944.935      0 168.63.129.16 NONE/000 0 NONE
error:transaction-end-before-headers - HIER_NONE/- -

Basically, the log gets flooded with this every few seconds. The source IP
168.63.129.16 is a platform IP of the Azure software-defined network, in
this case it is the source of the LB health probe.

I tried to filter these log entries by using the access_log directive. E.g.:

Option 1)
acl azurelb src 168.63.129.16/32
access_log none azurelb
access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log squid

Option 2)  (read about a bug in an older 3.x version, which can be worked
around by using this)
acl azurelb src 168.63.129.16/32
access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log squid !azurelb

Option 3)
acl azurelbprobe url_regex ^error:transaction-end-before-headers
access_log none azurelbprobe
access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log squid

None of this worked. I still get the same entries in access.log.
Any suggestion or hint will be appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Henning