[squid-users] Why Squid on CentOS is faster than Debian ?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Mar 31 03:50:07 UTC 2019

On 31/03/19 3:41 am, David Touzeau wrote:
> On 30.03.19 10:22, David Touzeau wrote:
>
>>> Did you have perform squid stress on Debian against CentOS ?
>>>
>>> I have installed:
>>>
>>> * Debian 9 net install + Squid compiled
>>> * CentOS 7 minimalĀ  + Squid compiled
>>>
>>> Same version, same compilation parameters, same Squid settings.
>>
>>> It seems that Squid on CentOS is 10 times faster than squid on Debian
>>
>> faster in what? Response time? number of parallel connections?
>> single or multiple connection data transfers?
>> HTTP or HTTPS?
>>
>>> What are kernel differences that made this huge performance changes?
>>
>> no kernel differences should cause 10x speed difference.

If you still have the config.log files from the build you may be able to
track down something being detected (or not) in one of the builds.

The -march=native or -O level options for compile would be the first
place I look for a major difference like that. Either on Squid or on one
of the system libraries it uses. The *FLAGS summary at the end of the
build can be a good starting point for comparison.

Compiler version can also have an effect as newer compilers use more
performance related tricks than older ones (YMMV on which tricks are
actually better).

> Faster in what? Response time?
>
> 1. response time, MISS and HIT are faster
>
> Example:
>
> on Centos MEM_HIT are aboutĀ  0-1 msec against Debian about 3-4 msec

On the same test traffic?