[squid-users] Squid Cache Problem

Devilindisguise devilindisguisedevlin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 05:41:25 UTC 2019

Hello all

Let me preface this by stating I am far from being a Squid expert so please
bear with me.

We have what is probably an easy one. Some Windows servers use a locally
installed Squid proxy instance for all outbound traffic. These servers also
make use of some F5 GTM (DNS) servers to provide a resilient inter-DC DNS
topology.

Essentially what should happen is under steady state conditions any DNS
request should be given IP address a.a.a.a, then under failure be given
b.b.b.b. The GTM DNS TTL is 30 seconds.

What we’re finding is that even after 5 mins of failure any HTTP request
from IE (configured with the Squid proxy) still targets a.a.a.a and traffic
is dropped. During this period if we remove the Squid proxy from the IE
settings, it works as now we target b.b.b.b.

So clearly some sort of caching, possibly DNS, is being done on the Squid.

Where is a good place to start on Squid to troubleshoot this,

Thank you