[squid-users] Using a static wildcard certificate with ssl-bump in explicit forward proxy mode

Bill Bernsen bernsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:47:10 UTC 2019

Amos, thank you for the quick response. My original question could use an
example to clarify.

client ------> example.com (HTTPS squid proxy) ------> instance.example.com
(HTTPS server)

The HTTPS squid proxy on example.com has a trusted wildcard certificate for
*.example.com
The HTTPS server on instance.example.com has an untrusted certificate for
instance.example.com

So without MITM, the client issues a CONNECT to squid running on example.com
which does its TLS, authenticates, connects to upstream then goes into
tunneling mode. The client does the TLS handshake with instance.example.com,
receives its untrusted certificate, and isn't happy.

I'm looking for a MITM mode that, instead of requiring a CA that can
dynamically create trusted certs on the fly, will return a wildcard
certificate for all requests (or even better, for any requests matching
hosts in its subdomain). Is that something that exists?

I hacked up my own version of ssl_crtd to serve a static cert and ran into
another wrinkle. Is there a version of squid that supports ssl-bump with
https_port?