[squid-users] using clang to compile squid 4-5

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jan 30 13:07:43 UTC 2019

On 30/01/19 9:38 pm, graf huy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using update-alternatives to set clang++ was a success, and export
> CC=/usr/bin/clang does the job (trying two differents methods). Debian
> project recommended to use export (CC,CCX) for versioning and only
> update-alternatives for alternative as it says.
> Anyway compilation with clang was as quick as gcc can do.

Great to know. Nothing to fix on that front for us then.

>>Seconded. With both my Squid Project and Debian pkg-squid Team hat's on
>>I'd like to know why you feel any need to force the compiler?
>
> There were errors to patch with memcpy because of the gcc versionĀ
> 8.2.0-14 Debian wich considers some warnings as errors, besides some
> targets are BSD's.

I'm not sure I follow that. Are you building with patched GCC? or a
patched libc? or something else?

I build with the Debian Sid GCC version myself and have not seen these
in any test builds with that or similar GCC versions. Am trying your
build options now just to be sure.

On the matter of BSD's, since they provide clang as the default compiler
they (FreeBSD at least) build with clan/clang++ without any need for
CC/CXX setting. We have Jenkins tests for that.

> Great to known you are on this package, I thought there was only Luigi
> Gangitano (luigi at debian.org) for ages...

Welcome. There are several of us, with Luigi as team lead.