[squid-users] installing Squid: /run dir creation

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 12:22:54 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 1:06:22 PM GMT+1, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:

>> Is it necessary to keep this in the Makefile?
>>

> Yes. The path is configurable with --with-pidfile=PATH, so it can be
> absolutely anywhere.
>
> It would help to have a hint about what OS you are using and what
> /configure parameters you used.

I'm using Gentoo and the ebuild (package manager) hardcodes the PID file name when calling the configure script:

--with-pidfile=/run/squid.pid

So if this is the case then maybe it would make sense to remove that mkinstalldirs line in the Makefile, at least only downstream by the Gentoo devs as a patch before configuring/compiling.
Makefiles might change in the future, but that would be up to the Gentoo devs to update.

I don't know for sure yet if this is why Gentoo "warns" me that the Squid installation is trying to write to /run, or if there are other parts of the installation code that might do so too.

I'll make a few tests first, but correct me if I'm wrog when I say that if one *always* passes the same PID file path to the configure script then that mkinstalldirs can be safely removed from the Makefile.

Thanks,

Vieri